SMS Backup Reader (PC/Mac/*nix)
This is a desktop Java program designed to read the XML backup files produced by the Android app SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh. This program runs on Windows, MacOS (OS X), Linux, and any other OS with Java installed. It is published under the name devadvance.Download latest version (GitHub) SMS Backup & Restore (Android app by Ritesh)
If you have any issues with SMS Backup Reader, please post an issue on the GitHub issue tracker here:SMS Backup Reader Issues (GitHub)
If you want to contribute to SMS Backup Reader or see the source code, visit the GitHub repo here:Source Code (GitHub)
How to use SMS Backup Reader (English)
Note: you can read the latest version of this document on the GitHub wiki here: How to use SMS Backup Reader | GitHub - devadvance/smsbackupreader
- Download the latest version of SMS Backup Reader: Download latest release
- This program requires Java to run. If you do not have Java installed, please visit the Java website to obtain it: http://www.java.com
- To run, simply double-click on SMS Backup Reader. If it opens as a folder and shows you multiple files inside, then either you do not have Java installed, or you need to go back, right-click on SMS Backup Reader, and open it with Java.
- Enter your country code. The default is 1 for the U.S. For example, the U.K. is 44.
- There is an option to change the timezone hours offset for the received messages. ONLY use this if you have previously encountered issues when loading messages!
- Once it is open, choose the file you want to load by clicking the appropriate button.
- Next, click Load!.
- To see different conversations, click on the contacts on the left side. The numbers are the PHONE NUMBERS of the contacts. If there are no names showing, it is because you did not backup the names using SMS Backup & Restore. SMS Backup Reader does not know the names unless they are in the file.
- To export a specific conversation, click on that contact, and click the Export button.
- To export all conversations, click on the Export All button.
- Close the program when you are finished.
Note: you can read the latest version of this document on the GitHub wiki here: Current Features | GitHub - devadvance/smsbackupreader
- Country code selection. You may have a contact stored one way, but when the SMS comes in, it may have the full international prefix and country code, even if it is from that same country you are in. Entering the country code of your number helps solve some of this problem.
- Separate message threads for each contact.
- “Sent” and “Received” and date/time information for each message.
- Export all conversations as a single text file divided by contact (easy archiving for later reading/printing).
- International support (UTF-8)
Known Issues and Todos
Note: you can read the latest version of this document on the GitHub wiki here: Known Issues and Todos | GitHub - devadvance/smsbackupreader
- Issue reading some backup files. Probably due to certain cases of formatting (Such as an email address instead of a number)
- Poorly formatted XML files will cause the program to do nothing when you click load (for example, if “�” is in the XML file). This is a null character and shouldn’t be there. Working on a way to ignore it
- Country code drop down instead of entering manually
- Read other backups. (Call Log, APN, etc).